Professional indemnity

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Get a quote today.

Or call 1300 836 028 Mon - Fri 8:30am - 5:00pm AET

What is Professional Indemnity Insurance?

Professional Indemnity Insurance is designed for businesses involved in providing professional advice or service. It helps provide cover for legal fees and compensation if a client alleges your service or advice caused them a financial loss.

Aon can arrange industry specific Professional Indemnity Insurance which has been designed to suit the risks of each industry. You can get a quote online in a few easy steps and have the confidence of being with a global broker offering local support.

Who needs Professional Indemnity Insurance?

Professional Indemnity Insurance may be mandatory for some occupations, such as allied health professionals. For some professions, it may also be a requirement in order to register with a particular body or industry group. Regardless of whether it is mandatory, PI should be a serious consideration for any business involved in providing a professional advice or service.

What does Professional Indemnity Insurance typically cover?

Legal fees

The legal fees you incur in defending your case.


Compensation you’re required to pay should your client’s claim be successful

Claims investigation

Costs incurred in investigating the claim.

Public relations costs

Public relations fees you incur to rectify your reputation such as PR agent fees.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between Professional Indemnity Insurance and Public Liability Insurance?

Professional Indemnity Insurance provides cover for claims made against your business by third parties claiming that your professional services or advice caused them loss.

Public Liability Insurance covers the costs associated with a third party’s claim for personal injury or property damage or due to products that are sold or supplied through your business.

Is Professional Indemnity insurance the same as “Errors and Omissions”?

Yes. Professional Indemnity Insurance is also known as Errors & Omissions in some parts of the world, including the United States.

What are the limits on Professional Indemnity Insurance?

Limits in the amount of cover will depend on the level of insurance you’ve taken out and the needs and circumstances of your business. You can consult our team of specialist brokers to help understand the coverage options available for your business.

How much Professional Indemnity Insurance do I need?

This will depend on a number of factors such as your profession, your business needs and the clients you work with. Some professions are required by law to hold a minimum level of cover, and some clients may require you to have a minimum level of cover to work for them. Many PI Insurance policies start at a minimum cover of $1 million, but you should decide the appropriate limit for you and consult with your broker about this if you need to.

What is retroactive cover?

Retroactive cover is protection for claims which are based on services or advice you provided before the start date of your current Professional Indemnity Insurance policy. When taking out Professional Indemnity Insurance cover, you may be asked to nominate a retroactive cover date or the insurer may impose one.

What is run-off insurance?

Run-off insurance provides coverage for claims made against you after your business ceases operating, or after you retire, based on advice or services you provided whilst in business. Depending on the policy, you may be required to pay additional premium to activate run-off cover.

Are Professional Indemnity insurance policies issued on a claims-made or occurrence basis?

Professional Indemnity Insurance is written on a claims-made basis. This means it will only cover claims made while the policy is in force. The claims-made basis of Professional Indemnity insurance means it is very important that any circumstances which may give rise to a claim, or any claim itself, be notified to the insurer as soon as possible after they occur. For example, if a client complains to you about your advice, your insurer should be notified at that time, rather than wait until a formal claim is made. If that client does decide to take legal action against you at a later date, you may not be entitled to cover if the insurer wasn't notified previously.

As a professional, what other types of insurance might I need?

Depending on your profession, and the nature of the work you carry out, there are several different policies you may need to consider.

For example, if you have an office and have clients visit you, you can take out a [Business Insurance pack]( ""Business Insurance pack"") to help cover the cost to repair your premises if your office is damaged by fire, storm or other event, as well as [Public and Products Liability]( ""Public Liability"") to help cover you if someone is injured on your property or by your products. Cyber Insurance also offers important protection, which can help protect your business against cyber threats and other internet-based risks.

How do I make a change to my policy?

You can make changes to your policy by contacting a member of our team on 1300 836 028 between 8:30am and 5:00pm. Remember that some changes can have an impact on your premium, so if this is the case, you may be required to pay an additional premium.

What are my payment options? (General)

Payment for your insurance policies are generally due annually. A monthly payment option may be available through a premium funding provider. If you choose to take out a premium funding contract there will be charges (such as interest and/or fees) in addition to the premium you pay throughout the year. See the premium funding terms and conditions for full details1.

Ways to get in touch

Or call us on 1300 836 028, email us on [email protected]