Ausdance and Aon

Insurance for members of Ausdance

or call 1800 806 584 Mon - Fri 8:30am - 5:30pm AET

Why do Ausdance members need insurance?

Aon arranges insurance for thousands of dance studios, dance groups and dancers in Australia and are also proudly the approved insurance partner for members of Ausdance.

Ausdance and Aon have worked together for over thirty years to ensure there is an accessible, relevant and responsive insurance package for Australia's broad dance sector.

The Ausdance Public and Products Liability and Professional Indemnity Policy package arranged by Aon is convenient and easily available through an online quote and purchase. We offer both $10m and $20m Public and Products Liability options. The policy helps cover you for your legal liability for property damage and/or bodily injury to a third party that happens during the period of insurance and is caused by an occurrence in connection with your business activities.1

Why choose Aon for Ausdance members Insurance?

When it comes to insurance for Ausdance members, there are a few options available to you, and deciding which ones you need might not be easy. Aon is committed to making life easier for you by arranging insurance that’s easy to understand, buy and manage, so you can get quotes and take out a policy online in just a few clicks. Or if you do need help, our team of friendly experienced brokers are a phone call away to help you understand what insurances you may or may not need, but more importantly, why. Helping give you confidence that you’re making a better decision for you and your business.


Insurance you may need as a member of Ausdance

Why Aon?

Don't just insure, be sure.

Industry expertise

Feel confident about your choice of insurance by talking with specialists in your industry

Local support

All brokers based in Australia

Global broker

Our global scale means we can negotiate competitive quality insurance products with insurers

Client education

We provide specialist resources on business insurance and risk management to help you stay on top of current and emerging risks in your industry

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some questions commonly asked by Ausdance members.

Do I need to be a member of Ausdance to apply?

No, you do not need to be a member of Ausdance to apply for the policy. If you’re not a member, please visit our tailored dance insurance page.

If you’re a member, please note your Ausdance membership number whilst buying online and a discount will be applied to the quotation. If you don’t know your Ausdance membership number, please contact your Ausdance branch for further information.

Will this policy cover both my dance studio and me as a performer or dance performance group?

Yes, this policy can extend to all dance related activities under both the Public Liability and Professional Indemnity covers. Please note that all activities must be carried out under the same entity for the insurance to be valid.

Are subcontractors covered under the policy?

Yes, subcontractors can be covered under your policy as long as they are working on your behalf.

Can I pay my premium on a monthly basis? (Entertainment)

We are able to arrange periodical payment solutions including monthly payment through our premium funding option. This option is not available through our online quoting system, so if you are interested in premium funding, we ask that you please contact our Entertainment team on 1800 806 584 or [email protected]

Is damage to property I own covered under the policy?

Property you own is not covered under the Ausdance Public and Products Liability and Professional Indemnity Policy Wording However, we can arrange a separate cover to suit your business needs. Please give us a call to discuss further on 1800 806 584 or email us at [email protected].

Am I covered at different locations or when I go overseas?

The Ausdance Public and Products Liability and Professional Indemnity Policy cover is worldwide excluding USA and Canada.

If you require cover for USA and/or Canada, please give us a call on 1800 806 584 or email us at [email protected] and we can organise cover on your behalf.

Will I be covered when taking part in or organising events?

Participation in events and organising of events can be covered under the policy as long as these activities are in connection with your usual business activities as a dance studio owner or a dance teacher. The policy will only provide cover for You, the Insured and will not extend to any of your subcontractors such as sound & lighting technicians, caterers etc who will need their own insurance.

When will I receive my certificate of currency?

When you purchase your insurance online you will receive your certificate of currency in minutes to your elected email address. If you purchase your insurance with one of our experienced brokers, the time line may vary.2

How do I make a claim? (Entertainment)

You will find details of how to make a claim in the policy wording you receive from us. However, we also appreciate that having to make a claim can be a stressful time. That's why as your advocate we are always on hand to help with any questions. Please do not hesitate to call us on 1800 806 584.

What if I need to make a change to my policy? (Entertainment)

It is important to keep your policy up to date with the changing shape of your work but also to keep your business and personal information up to date in the event of a claim.

Should your business circumstances have changed, for example you have changed the services that you offer and you are not sure if your existing insurance covers it anymore then you can always call one of our experienced friendly brokers to discuss on 1800 806 584.

How do I renew my policy?

Your renewal offer, schedule and tax invoice will be emailed to you approximately 30 days before your renewal date. Please ensure you review the details of our offer carefully (remember pricing and coverage levels may have changed so it is important to review). If you are happy with the offer and wish to accept, simply make payment by the date specified on the tax invoice.

The news you need to know

Ways to get in touch

Or call us on 1800 806 584, email us on [email protected]

1Subject to full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information.

2We will process your certificate of currency request instantly but, depending on your internet speed and email server, it could take a few minutes to get to your inbox.

Ausdance Member Insurance is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited, ABN 17 000 434 720, AFSL 241141 as agent for the insurer, Chubb Insurance Australia Limited, ABN 23 001 642 020, AFSL 239687. If you purchase this insurance, we will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be provided upon request.