Legal and Consulting

Get a quote today.

Or call 1300 836 028 Mon - Fri 8:30am - 5:00pm AET

Welcome to our New Website

We’ve got a fresh new look, designed with your needs in mind!

Why do Legal & Consulting Professionals need Insurance?

Your clients might rely on your knowledge and expertise to assist and advise them , but in your line of work, sometimes, an error on your part can land you into your own difficult situation. That’s why if you’re a legal or consulting professional, having appropriate insurance for your business is an important part of protecting your business’s financial livelihood.

There are many different insurance types you might need to consider depending on your profession type, and choosing the right insurance broker is also important. As specialist insurance brokers, Aon may arrange insurance which has been tailored to suit the common risks you face in your industry. Get a quote online in a few minutes, or call 1300 836 028 to chat to one of our team.

Top Legal or Consulting Professionals we insure

Insurance we can arrange

Frequently Asked Questions

My profession is not listed above, can I still get insurance through Aon?

Contact our team on tel 1300 836 028 and we may be able to arrange cover.

Is it mandatory for Barristers to hold insurance?

Yes, it is mandatory for Barristers to hold Professional Indemnity Insurance. However, the conditions and the amount of cover that needs to be held varies between each state. We recommend you check with the bar authority in your state to understand what coverage you need, and any minimum coverage limits.

What insurance do Consultants need?

There are a few types of insurance you may need to protect your business. In our opinion, one of the most important forms of insurance required is Professional Indemnity Insurance. Professional indemnity Insurance helps protect you from the cost of a lawsuit when a client is dissatisfied with your work. In addition to Professional Indemnity Insurance, you may also need other forms of cover. If your work involves dealing with any members of the public, you might also need Public and Products Liability Insurance. Business Insurance is also a good option if you operate out of a physical business premises, and/or have business assets and equipment. Speaking to your broker can help you understand the different options you have so you can make a decision that's right for you.

Why do I need both Professional Indemnity Insurance and Public and Products Liability Insurance?

Professional Indemnity Insurance and Public Liability insurance are different types of cover. While there are some similarities, they cover different risks . Professional Indemnity insurance provides cover against claims alleging negligence in the provision of your professional service or advice, whereas Public Liability insurance provides cover against claims against you alleging injury or damage arising out of your business activities.

They're both policies which are important to hold as a professional, regardless of your business size or location. While only Professional Indemnity insurance is mandatory for Barristers, if you interact with members of the public, Public Liability insurance should also be seriously considered.

I run my business from home, what insurance do I need? (general)

If you run your business from home, the insurance you need will vary based on the type of business you run. If you provide professional advice, you may need to consider Professional Indemnity Insurance. If you see clients in person, such as having meetings, you may need to consider Public Liability Insurance. If you have a digital footprint, Cyber Insurance might also be a wise cover to look into. If you are unsure of the insurance you need, taking the time to talk to a broker may be worthwhile, and help ensure you're not left with any gaps in cover.

Can I take out cover online?

Some of our policies may be taken out online, while others need to be taken out with one of our brokers. Even if you take out a policy online, if you have any questions about your cover, you can contact our team on tel 1300 836 028.

How do I make a claim?

You will find details of how to make a claim in the policy wording you receive from us. However, we also appreciate that having to make a claim can be a stressful time which is why as your advocate we are always on hand to help with any questions. Please do not hesitate to call us on 1800 020 339 or email [email protected]

What if I need to make a change to my policy?

It is important to keep your policy up to date with the changing shape of your business but also to keep your business and personal information up to date in the event of a claim. Should your business circumstances have changed, for example you have moved into a new premises or you have changed the services that you offer and you are not sure if your existing insurance covers it anymore then you can always call one of our experienced friendly brokers to discuss on 1800 020 339 during business hours.

How do I renew my policy?

Your renewal offer, schedule and tax invoice will be emailed to you approximately 30 days before your renewal date. Please ensure you review the details of our offer carefully (remember pricing and coverage levels may have changed so it is important to review). If you are happy with the offer and wish to accept, simply make payment by the date specified on the tax invoice.

What should I do if I have not received my certificate of currency or renewal offer/documents?

Please accept our apologies. At Aon we strive to deliver best in class service, so we are sorry to hear you have not received your documents. Please contact us on 1300 836 028 or [email protected] and we will look to send your documents as soon as possible.

What are your opening hours?

Our opening hours are 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday (AET, except public holidays). If you need to contact us out of hours you can email us at [email protected] and we will pick up your query on the next business day.

Can I pay for my policy monthly? (general)

Yes, you can. Monthly payments can be arranged through a premium funding agreement with Hunter Premium Funding2 to help you spread the costs of your insurance across the year. Please note that the total overall cost is higher if you pay monthly. Contact us on 1300 836 028 or by email on [email protected]

The news you need to know

Read more

Ways to get in touch

Or call us on 1300 836 028, email us on [email protected]

1Subject to full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information.
2Hunter Premium Funding is a third party independent of Aon, however Aon will receive a commission if you pay for your policy through a premium funding agreement with them.
Consultants Professional Indemnity and Broadform Liability is arranged by Aon under a binder agreement on behalf of the insurer Insurance Australia Limited trading as CGU Insurance, ABN 11 000 016 722 AFSL 227681]. When acting under a binder we will be acting as agent of the insurer and not as your agent. Our binder arrangements with the insurer are such that we remain your agent in the handling of any claim. If you purchase this insurance, Aon will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be found in our FSG or provided upon request.