Music, Dance and Performers

Cover designed for your occupation

Or call 1800 806 584 Mon - Fri 8:30am - 5:00pm AET

Why may Professional Musicians, Dancers and performers need insurance?

Whether you teach music, sing, dance or prefer to keep your magic onstage as a performer, the possibility of something going wrong never really goes away. You might have your equipment stolen or be held legally responsible for an injury to a student or audience member. Such events would not only cause you a lot of inconvenience, but also take their toll financially.

That’s why, in your line of work, it’s important to consider holding insurance that is in tune with the risks of your industry. Having appropriate insurance in place could help reduce out of pocket costs if the unexpected does happen. Aon can arrange many different types of insurances specifically designed to suit the risks faced by music/dance teachers and performers. Our team of brokers have taken the time to understand the risks one may face and how to insure against many of them, so to be more confident with one’s livelihood with cover that has been designed with the needs of the industry in mind.

Cover designed for your occupation


Bands & Performing Groups

MUSO Personal Accident


Music & Singing Teachers

Equipment Insurance

Insurance Aon can arrange

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is covered by Performers Insurance?

The Performer’s Liability Insurance arranged through Aon may cover the following categories of performers:
Category 1
Actors/Acting, Astrologers, Baton Twirling, Bingo Callers, Bubble Blowing, Caricatures, Cartoonists, Characters, Comedians, Comperes, Costumed Characters, Escape Artists, Hula Hoop, Impersonators, Magicians, Marching, Marriage Celebrants, MC’s, Mime, Models, Poets, Promotional Boy/Girl, Public Speakers, Puppetry, Race Callers, Spruikers, Statues, Stilt Walkers, Storytellers, Theatre Performers, Trivia Hosts, TV Presenters, Unicycling/Trick Cycling
Category 2
Acrobats, Aerial Performers, Balloon Sculpting, Burlesque Artist, Clairvoyant, Clowns, Dancers, DJ’s/Video DJ’s, Face & Body Painters, Juggling, - Non-Dangerous Goods – balls etc, Karaoke, Musicians/Singers, Pavement Art, Physical Theatre, Plate Spinning, Roller Skating, Tarot Card Reading.
If you are in a category not described above, please contact our entertainment team, and they can assist with your query.

Do I need Performers Insurance if the venue has insurance?

Although the venue or contractor may have their own Public Liability insurance in place, it generally won’t cover the legal liability of performers or other third parties engaged by the venue in the event of an occurrence which results in a claim.
This is because their insurance generally covers them for their own insured activities and liabilities. Performers may not be employees, and therefore the venue’s/contractor’s policy will not necessarily extend to cover the liability incurred by such performers or any other third party engaged by them.

As a performer, does my Public Liability Insurance cover me if I work overseas?

If travelling overseas to perform, Public Liability Insurance for Performers arranged through Aon will generally cover policyholders anywhere outside of North America, North Korea, Cuba and Iran, provided this is stated in your Schedule.1,2

As a music/singing teacher, if I teach students at my home, will my home insurance cover Public Liability if they’re injured in my home?

The Public Liability cover under home insurance policies sometimes exclude incidents that occur while you’re operating a business. You should check with your home insurance provider to clarify the coverage offered here. Additional Public Liability Insurance may be suitable for your business, such as the Music & Signing Teachers Liability Insurance through Aon.

As a music/singing teacher, if I conduct lessons at a student’s home, am I covered?

The coverage under Public Liability, Breach of Professional Duty and the Personal Accident Insurance may extends to teaching at students’ homes. However, if taking equipment to students’ homes, optional cover is available for these if they’re damaged or stolen and meet insured criteria. This feature is not automatically included as Equipment Insurance is a separate policy, and you should contact your broker to discuss further.

As a music/singing teacher, am I covered if I travel overseas to teach?

Under the Music & Singing Teachers Liability Insurance through Aon, if conducting lessons while overseas (outside of North America, North Korea, Cuba & Iran), Public Liability and Breach of Professional Duty cover may be available1,2.

Why may Dancers and Dance Teachers need Public Liability Insurance?

Picture this: You are in the middle of a lesson teaching a group to foxtrot when suddenly there is a loud crash, one of the mirrors on the wall has fallen off and broken glass is everywhere. Unfortunately, it has also landed on the groups personal items and one person has received a cut from the glass. You could be held legally liable for any damage caused to property and for any injuries that may have been incurred. Public Liability Insurance may help cover your legal liability for property damage and/or bodily injury to a third party caused by an occurrence happening in connection with your business activities during the period of insurance.
Even if not teaching a class, and only performing, Public Liability is still an important cover to consider as one may be held legally liable for injury to another dancer, or damage to a venue as a result of activities.

Who does Dance Insurance cover?

This policy may cover a broad range of activities in the dance industry which we have listed for you below:
Acro, Aerobic, African, Anti-gravity yoga, Aqua Aerobics, Aqua Zumba, Ballet, Ballroom, Baton Twirling, Bellydance, Bollywood, Breakdance, Burlesque, Calisthenics, Ceroc, Cheer, Contemporary dance, Contra Dance, Country & Western, Cultural, Flamenco, Folk, Funk, Gymnastics (floor work), Highland, Hip Hop, Hula Hoops, Irish, Jazz, Jazz Ballet, Jazzercise, Jungle Body, Konga, Latin dancing, Linedancing, Modern, Morris, Performance Troupe, Physical Culture, Pilates, Pole Fitness, Pound, Rock 'n' Roll, Round dance, Salsa, Jazz, Jazz Ballet, Jazzercise, Konga, Square dance, Street, Swing dancing, Tai Chi, Tango, Tap, Theatrical, Tribal, Xtend, Barre, Yoga, Zouk, Zumba
If your dance style is not included in the above list, please contact us on 1800 806 584 and we will be able to assist you over the phone.

Am I covered if I let someone borrow my equipment or instruments?

Under the Equipment & Musical Instrument Insurance arranged through Aon, equipment may be covered if lending it to someone else. However special terms, conditions and excesses apply. Please ensure you read the PDS, Policy Wording, and/or contact our office for more information.

Can I pay my premium on a monthly basis? (Entertainment)

We are able to arrange periodical payment solutions including monthly payment through our premium funding option. This option is not available through our online quoting system, so if you are interested in premium funding, we ask that you please contact our Entertainment team on 1800 806 584 or via our email address: [email protected]

How do I make a claim? (Entertainment)

You will find details of how to make a claim in the policy wording you receive from us. However, we also appreciate that having to make a claim can be a stressful time. That's why as your advocate we are always on hand to help with any questions. Please do not hesitate to call us on 1800 806 584.

What if I need to make a change to my policy? (Entertainment)

It is important to keep your policy up to date with the changing shape of your work but also to keep your business and personal information up to date in the event of a claim.

Should your business circumstances have changed, for example you have changed the services that you offer and you are not sure if your existing insurance covers it anymore then you can always call one of our experienced friendly brokers to discuss on 1800 806 584.

How do I renew my policy?

Your renewal offer, schedule and tax invoice will be emailed to you approximately 30 days before your renewal date. Please ensure you review the details of our offer carefully (remember pricing and coverage levels may have changed so it is important to review). If you are happy with the offer and wish to accept, simply make payment by the date specified on the tax invoice.

What should I do if I have not received my certificate of currency or renewal offer/documents?

Please accept our apologies. At Aon, we strive to deliver best in class service, so we are sorry to hear you have not received your documents. Please contact us on 1800 805 191 or email [email protected] and we will look to send your documents as soon as possible.

What are your opening hours? (Entertainment)

Our opening hours are 8.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. Monday to Friday (except public holidays). If you need to contact us out of hours you can email us at [email protected] and we will pick up your query on the next business day.

The news you need to know

Read more

Ways to get in touch

Or call us on 1800 806 584, email us on [email protected]

1Subject to full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information.
2Cover is not provided in respect of activities in North America, North Korea, Cuba & Iran.
Public Liability Insurance for Bands & Performing Groups is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141 as agent for the insurer, Certain Underwriters at Lloyds.
Music and Singing Teachers Liability insurance is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141 (Aon) as agent for the insurer, Certain Underwriters at Lloyds.
Performers Liability insurance is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141 (Aon) as agent for the insurer Certain Underwriters at Lloyds.
Equipment and Instrument Insurance is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141 as agent for the insurer, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited, ABN 15 000 122 850, AFSL 234708.
Professional Indemnity, Product Liability and Public Liability Insurance for Dance is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 (Aon) on behalf of the underwriter, Chubb Insurance Australia Limited ABN 23 001 642 020 AFSL 239687. If you purchase this insurance, Aon will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be found in our FSG click here or provided upon request.
Musicians Support Policy Personal Accident Insurance is arranged by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141 as agent for the insurer, Accident & Health International Underwriting Pty Ltd, ABN 26 053 335 952, AFSL 238261 who act on behalf of Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd (TMNF) ABN 80 000 438 291, ASFL 246548. If you purchase this insurance, Aon will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be found in our FSG click here or provided upon request.