ATA and Aon

Insurance for members of Australian Tutors Association (ATA)

Mon - Fri 8:30am - 5:00pm AET

Why do ATA Members need insurance?

Aon are proud to be the approved insurance partner for Australian Tutoring Association (ATA) and we are delighted to offer members insurance designed for Tutors. We are here to help you understand the unique risks of the education industry, and our team can help you with specialist insurance meeting the needs of Universities, Private Schools and Registered Training Officers. The Editors, Technical Writers & Tutors Combined Liability Insurance Policy we offer covers you for Professional Indemnity, Public Liability and Products Liability with the optional adage of Business Insurance and other products as required. It provides peace of mind when any complaints emerge in your providing of tutorial services (as a tutoring business or individual tutor). We've negotiated a fair and competitive price for your cover and our service also comes highly recommended by our customers.

AU Australian Tutors Association 328x168

Why Aon?

Don't just insure, be sure.

Industry expertise

Feel confident about your choice of insurance by talking with specialists in your industry

Local support

All brokers based in Australia

Global broker

Our global scale means we can negotiate competitive quality insurance products with insurers

Client education

We provide specialist resources on business insurance and risk management to help you stay on top of current and emerging risks in your industry

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some questions commonly asked by Tutors.

Is it mandatory for ATA members to hold insurance?

It is not mandatory, however it’s advisable for tutors to get professional indemnity insurance, which protects against legal liability in the case of misconduct or professional malpractice. Since tutoring is a profession where you are providing professional advice, your business risks legal claims of negligent service.

Why do ATA members need Public Liability insurance?

Public Liability is an important cover for any business that interacts with members of the public. One of your clients or a member of the public could fall and hurt themselves or damage their property on your premises. This could lead to them making a claim against your business, and you could be held liable. Even if you don’t operate out of a business premise, and only see clients in their homes, Public Liability should still be considered as any interaction with the public or your clients in person holds a level of liability risk.

How do I make a claim?

You will find details of how to make a claim in the policy wording you receive from us. However, we also appreciate that having to make a claim can be a stressful time which is why as your advocate we are always on hand to help with any questions. Please do not hesitate to call us on 1800 020 339 or email [email protected]

What if I need to make a change to my policy?

It is important to keep your policy up to date with the changing shape of your business but also to keep your business and personal information up to date in the event of a claim. Should your business circumstances have changed, for example you have moved into a new premises or you have changed the services that you offer and you are not sure if your existing insurance covers it anymore then you can always call one of our experienced friendly brokers to discuss on 1800 020 339 during business hours.

How do I renew my policy?

Your renewal offer, schedule and tax invoice will be emailed to you approximately 30 days before your renewal date. Please ensure you review the details of our offer carefully (remember pricing and coverage levels may have changed so it is important to review). If you are happy with the offer and wish to accept, simply make payment by the date specified on the tax invoice.

What are your opening hours?

Our opening hours are 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday (AET, except public holidays). If you need to contact us out of hours you can email us at [email protected] and we will pick up your query on the next business day.

Can I pay for my policy monthly?

Yes you can, monthly payments can be arranged through a premium funding agreement with Hunter Premium Funding2 to help you spread the costs of your insurance across the year. Please note that the total overall cost is higher if you pay monthly. Contact us on 1800 020 339 or by email on [email protected].

Is it mandatory for Tutors to hold Professional Indemnity Insurance?

While you take all the care to deliver professional advice and services to your students, an insurance claim can have a devastating impact on your tutoring business. Tutors may wish to get professional indemnity insurance, which protects you against legal liability in the case of misconduct or professional misconduct. Since tutoring is a profession where you are providing professional advice, your business risks legal claims of negligent service.

Why do I need both Professional Indemnity Insurance and Public Liability Insurance?

Professional indemnity insurance covers against allegations of professional negligence – such as making a mistake in your work or providing an inadequate service to your customers.

Public liability insurance covers against allegations of injury to a third party as a result of your negligence – for example, if a student or accompanying parent slipped, tripped for fell over and injured themselves on your premises. You would be covered against the legal costs, as well as any compensation payable to them, should they bring a claim against you for their injuries.

They’re both policies which are important to hold as a professional, regardless of your business size or location.

I operate my practice from home, do I need insurance?

If you operate your practice from home, Professional Indemnity is still relevant as the risk of clients alleging professional negligence on your part is still applicable. It's likely at some point, you will meet with clients in person, whether that's at their home, or out in public, so Public & Products Liability is also very relevant for you. Business Insurance can also help cover the cost of your office equipment such as mobile phone or laptop if they're stolen or damaged.

Why might I need Cyber Insurance?

Your high-value client base, the commercially sensitive information you hold about them and the raft of cloud based and online technologies you use all make you susceptible to cyber crime. For cyber criminals, attacking your system wouldn't require much effort on their part, but the ramifications for you (and your clients) could be far-reaching. Cyber Insurance can therefore help safeguard your business's viability if you do fall victim to an attack, and help make sure you're not left with substantial out of pocket costs to rectify your IT systems and get your business back up and running.

The news you need to know

Read more

Ways to get in touch

Email us on [email protected]

1Subject to full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information.

2Hunter Premium Funding is a third party independent of Aon, however Aon will receive a commission if you pay for your policy through a premium funding agreement with them.

Editors, Technical Writers & Tutors Combined Liability Insurance Policy by Aon Risk Services Australia Limited ABN 17 000 434 720 (Aon) on behalf of the underwriter, Insurance Australia Limited ABN 11 000 016 722 AFSL 227681 trading as CGU Insurance. If you purchase this insurance, Aon will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Further information can be provided upon request.

Please also note that the Australian Tutors Association (ATA) Ltd 48 130 390 519 act as a referrer of the above listed insurance to Aon. Where you purchase this insurance as a result of a referral from ATA to Aon, ATA will receive a fixed fee from Aon’s total remuneration. Please feel free to contact us for further information.