IPTA and Aon

Insurance for members of The Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia

or call 1800 020 339 Mon - Fri 8:30am - 5:00pm AET

Professional Indemnity Insurance designed for Members of The Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia

Aon and IPTA have come together to develop an insurance solution that caters to the needs of IPTA members. In alliance with the IPTA, Aon have worked with industry experts to listen to the needs of patent and trade marks attorneys and negotiated with the insurer, to develop cover that encompasses quality, price and service.

As a member of IPTA you have access to a professional indemnity insurance program that has been developed based on the activities and exposures specific to what patent and trade marks attorneys may commonly face in their practice. Through Aon, you also have access to a broad range of cover solutions including business insurance, management liability and cyber liability insurance cover options all in the one place. Talk to an expert and find out more today.

AU IPTA 328x168

"IPTA is very excited to be able to announce our alliance with Aon, which has been more than 18 months in the making and which we believe will provide an attractive PI Insurance solution for our members, particularly for sole practitioners and small to medium sized firms."

Michael Caine – President, IPTA

Why Aon?

Don't just insure, be sure.

Industry expertise

Feel confident about your choice of insurance by talking with specialists in your industry

Local support

All brokers based in Australia

Global broker

Our global scale means we can negotiate competitive quality insurance products with insurers

Client education

We provide specialist resources on business insurance and risk management to help you stay on top of current and emerging risks in your industry

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some questions commonly asked by IPTA Members:

Why should I consider professional indemnity insurance?

As a patent or trade marks attorney you are providing professional advice to your clients daily. If you make an oversight, error or omission with this advice, the other party may suffer a financial loss and as a result bring a claim against you for these losses. Professional Indemnity Insurance is designed to cover you for the claimed amount, as well as the associated defence costs, subject to the terms and conditions of the policy.

How much Professional Indemnity Insurance do I need?

This will depend on a number of factors such as your profession, your business needs and the clients you work with. Some professions are required by law to hold a minimum level of cover, and some clients may require you to have a minimum level of cover to work for them. Many PI Insurance policies start at a minimum cover of $1 million, but you should decide the appropriate limit for you and consult with your broker about this if you need to.

Will professional indemnity cover my business for work done by a contractor?

Professional indemnity will cover your business for vicarious liability for claims you may incur as a result of work done by a sub-contractor for or on your behalf. It does not, however, cover the contractor directly as it would an employee.

This is because as a sub-contractor they will likely also provide services to other businesses and parties, and naming them as an insured may potentially expose you to liabilities outside your business, that are completely outside of your control. Due to this we do recommend that any sub-contractors engaged, maintain their own insurances to cover the work they do for other clients.

At times I provide services to clients outside of Australia. Would I still be covered under the policy?

The standard territorial limits under the policy are worldwide excluding USA or Canada. If you are providing 10% or less of services to clients within the USA or Canada this coverage can be extended to cover you for your services worldwide.

By extending the territorial limits, this will cover you for activities or services anywhere is the world. However, all claims under the policy would need to be brought against you in a Court of the Commonwealth of Australia.

If you are providing any services which require more detailed consultations (such as if more than 10% of your services are to clients outside of Australia), Aon will work with you accordingly.

Do I maintain my insurance if I stop trading?

Professional Indemnity is a claims-based insurance. This means that a policy needs to be active when a claim arises in order to respond, even if this event that lead to the claim occurred several years ago. Due to this, if you do cease trading we recommend maintaining what is called a “run off” professional indemnity policy. This is an active policy that will cover you for activities when you were trading, to ensure you have cover in place when a claim is made afterwards, up to 7 years.

The news you need to know

Read more

Ways to get in touch

Or call us on 1800 020 339, email us on [email protected]

1All policies set out above are subject to full policy terms and conditions.

The Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA) (ABN 78 004 194 263) acts as a referrer of Aon’s products and services only. All services in relation to insurance products are provided by Aon Risk Services Australia Ltd ABN 17 000 434 720 AFSL 241141 (Aon), not by IPTA. IPTA is not a representative of Aon and accepts no legal responsibility for any advice given by, or any act or omission of, Aon. IPTA may receive a referral fee from premium commission received by Aon as a result of referrals made by IPTA to Aon. If you require further information about our relationship, please feel free to contact Aon or IPTA.