Retail and Small Business

Get a quote today.

Or call 1800 123 266 Mon - Fri 8:30am - 5:00pm AET

Welcome to our New Website

We’ve got a fresh new look, designed with your needs in mind!

Why do Retail and Small Business Professionals need insurance?

As a retailer, you’d be among the first to see the impact retail therapy can have on your customers’ moods, and their day. No matter what type of goods your business sells, bringing your customers quality products, and providing exceptional service is your priority. Unfortunately, though, there are times when things don’t go according to plan. Whether a storm causes damage to your store; thieves break into your property, or a customer shops until they (literally) drop at our premises, operating a retail business brings with it its own set of risks. These sorts of events aren’t so easy to checkout from if they do occur, so having the right insurance in place for your business is essential.

Insurance you may consider

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make a claim?

You will find details of how to make a claim in the policy wording you receive from us. However, we also appreciate that having to make a claim can be a stressful time which is why, as your advocate, we are always on hand to help with any questions. Please do not hesitate to call us on 1300 836 028 during business hours.

What if I need to make a change to my policy?

It is important to keep your policy up to date with the changing shape of your business but also to keep your business and personal information up to date in the event of a claim.

Should your business circumstances have changed, for example you have moved into new premises or you have changed the services that you offer and you are not sure if your existing insurance covers it anymore then you can always call one of our experienced friendly brokers to discuss on 1300 836 028.

How do I renew my policy?

Your renewal offer, schedule and tax invoice will be emailed to you approximately 30 days before your renewal date. Please ensure you review the details of our offer carefully (remember pricing and coverage levels may have changed so it is important to review). If you are happy with the offer and wish to accept, simply make payment by the date specified on the tax invoice.

What are your opening hours?

Our opening hours are 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday (AET, except public holidays). If you need to contact us out of hours you can email us at [email protected] and we will pick up your query on the next business day.

Can I pay for my policy monthly? (general)

Yes, you can. Monthly payments can be arranged through a premium funding agreement with Hunter Premium Funding2 to help you spread the costs of your insurance across the year. Please note that the total overall cost is higher if you pay monthly. Contact us on 1300 836 028 or by email on [email protected]

What is the difference between Public Liability and Product Liability?

Public Liability insurance covers your legal liability caused directly by your business activities or on your business premises during the course of your work. Product Liability insurance covers loss or damage caused by products your business sells.

For example, if you operate a catering business, and food you serve makes someone sick, you could be held liable to pay damages and the cost of their treatment. If you are a professional providing a service, Product Liability may not be applicable to you. Instead, if a client alleged your service or advice caused them financial loss or injury, you would need professional indemnity insurance to help cover this.

How much Public & Product Liability Insurance do I need?

This will depend on a number of factors such as your business activity your business needs, the size of your business and the clients you work with. Some clients may require you to have a minimum level of cover to work for them – however, the minimum may not be enough for you, so you should speak to a qualified solicitor or financial advisor before deciding how much cover you need.

Why might I need Cyber Insurance?

Your high-value client base, the commercially sensitive information you hold about them and the raft of cloud based and online technologies you use all make you susceptible to cyber crime. For cyber criminals, attacking your system wouldn't require much effort on their part, but the ramifications for you (and your clients) could be far-reaching. Cyber Insurance can therefore help safeguard your business's viability if you do fall victim to an attack, and help make sure you're not left with substantial out of pocket costs to rectify your IT systems and get your business back up and running.

Do I need to take out separate insurance to cover my employees?

Yes, if you employ staff, you will need to take out Workers Compensation Insurance. You can speak to your state regulator about your needs as coverage and legislation varies between different states

Explore more Products

The news you need to know

Read more

Ways to get in touch

Or call us on 1300 836 028, email us on [email protected]

1Subject to full terms, conditions and limits of the policy. Please review the full policy wording for more information.

2Hunter Premium Funding is a third party independent of Aon, however Aon will receive a commission if you pay for your policy through a premium funding agreement with them.